Tuesday, September 20, 2005

To be, or not to be...

A graphic designer...?

A financial advisor...?

A rock star...?

I really don't know anymore. Every day i'm faced with the challenge of finding a job and it's starting to make me wonder what I'm really meant to do. I have a cousin who's going into interior design, my brother is going to be an architect, and i used to be a decent artist. So recently, despite my enthusiasm for the financial industry, i've been bombarded with thoughts of pursuing the artistic ambitions I had while i was in high school.

I guess to straighten things out a bit, I used to be really into Art. Ever since that first drawing of Spider-man i attempted in grade 5, i've always had a certain knack for drawing. I decided to further develop this talent in high school by taking all the arts courses i could and scoring in the high 90s each time. So when i was in high school, everyone expected me to become some kind of artist. That, coupled with the fact that i started in a band as a drummer, landed me "Most Artistic" among the graduating class of 2001. I actually wanted to go into Animation, but on a campus tour or Sheridan College, the tour guide, a 3rd-year animation student, turned me off by saying that it truly is a gruling profession where your work goes under-appreciated, leaving you depressed, lethargic, and constantly behind schedule. So there you have it,... dreams out the window, and in came Computer Science at UWO.

It didn't take long for me to figure out that CS wasn't my thing. I did a skills and interests inventory and figured out that the one thing I enjoyed doing and was really good at was serving on the Worship Team at church. So then it hit me... full-time ministry, or perhaps being a Pastor. The CS thing dragged on a little too long and so i jumped ship to Philosophy where I found a great intellectual sanctuary where my mind was liberated and able to think freely and outside the box. It was life-changing...

Then came World Financial Group. This company opened the door to an opportunity that, even still, seems like an unmatched career choice. You get to help people achieve their goals and earn a substantial income. The organization is awesome... but sometime i wonder if i have what it takes... or rather, if i'm just the right person for this business.

So now i'm sort of revisiting the drawing board. Doing another "skills and interests" inventory. And so far... i'm completely lost.

A lot of people have often heard me say, "If i could do one thing for a living without having to worry about money, I'd be a rock star." I love playing drums with my band, but realistically... the odds are stacked against me in this crazily over-populated and enormously competitive industry. And it's not like we've had regular paying gigs.

And to make matters more complicated... If i wanted to be a graphic designer, i'd have to go back to school for it. If i want to be a Pastor, i'd have to go to school again... And it's not like i hate school or anything like that. It's just both programs are at least 3 years...

Man, i don't know...

I know God will show me something. It's just a matter of whether or not i'll notice Him. I'm a little anxious about that.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave. oh Man I forget how alike we are! the art/worship band/even the financial advice thing? coicidence? ppl say i'm good at that stuff, but i'd say You're my hero in the art n music side.

i'm gonna have the same dilemas as you later in life. missionary? designer? singer/song writer? but i reckon God can immalgamate them Easily into my future career/life-style.

Don't Forget how Big God is. if he can stop the sun from setting, and part seas and calm raging storms by his words - your life is already taken care of. (check out your lovelife... )

x

8:52 PM, September 20, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Nora... you're always there to lend a kind, encouraging note!

an amalgam of singer/song-writer/designer/missionary? hmm... i suppose you can start out as Christian recording artist, where you'll meet other Christian artists who have a need for album-cover designs. So you'll start a graphic design business on the side which will, later on, fund your global tour/mission trip. All wrapped up in a neat little package... :)

8:59 PM, September 20, 2005  
Blogger Simon said...

i wish i had an answer, but i'm in the same situation, haha

in the meantime, lets start a magazine called "gods little people" and express ourselves through art, writing, and financial advice columns.

2:57 PM, September 22, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

listening to your buckshot cd. wow - i'm impressed! good beats dave - i'm not so into punk rock style music - do you want me to distribute those cd's pawpaw gave me? sell them? burn them? thanks btw!! i miss you dayweet!!

5:36 PM, September 28, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

trust God. but my opinion... be a rockstar! then open up a financial service and graphics company.

silq

12:20 PM, October 04, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home