i shall not be in want...
I think it's time a got serious about working on my spiritual discipline. I need to form the habit of giving time to God every day. I've never been one to have very much discipline in my life. Not to say that i've been a very undisciplined person, per se. But in terms of keeping commitments such as finishing a devotional book, or daily prayer time, those are things i've never been able to keep up for more than a few weeks at a time.
I've been taking a Sunday School class on spiritual habits and discipline for the past few weeks at my church. I've been learning a lot, but the most prevalent lesson to date has been the importance of keeping the discipline of daily devotions. It's obvious that it's hard to know what God's will is unless you spend time with Him. I guess all my troubles with finding a job, not knowing what my purpose is or where i'm supposed to be, etc.... all that is probably the result of not having a regular quiet time.
Starting now, (famous words, eh?) i'm proclaiming to God and the world wide web, that my daily devotion time is now 7 am on days that i work, and 8:30am on days that i don't work. I think that's reasonable. My prayer is that God will enable me to do this.
The book i picked to study as a devotional is "The Man God Uses" by the Blackabys, the guys who wrote Experiencing God. Even though we shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, the title seems appropriate. This is one of the books i've started but never finished. Hopefully this time around i'll be able to get to the end without giving up or missing a day.
The other thing that i'm going to work on is keeping a regular journal. I guess i could just use this blog as a journal.... But do i want to blog every day? I guess a lot of people do it.
Of course it's going to be hard, but what on Earth is worthwhile that isn't hard? Plus, I believe this is something that God wants me to do, so technically I should get all the help i need to accomplish this from God Himself.
---
Scotiabank, where are you? Ok, it's been a week. Maybe i should call them. Yes, i will. I'm marking it down on my list of things to do tomorrow. Although i've been learning to be patient and content with God's timing, i still think it's my responsibility to at least follow up on the interview.
Hmm... while i'm at it, i guess i'll take this time to list some thoughts that have never had the chance to leave my head since i've started working at Rogers....
Here's something that makes my day:
On days that I open the store, i have to get there by 8:30 am so that the store can open at 10. I don't know how many times this has happened:
1. Customer walks up to the door and pulls on it, only to find that it's locked.
2. Customer looks at the store hours and realizes that the store doesn't open until 10am.
3. Customer pulls on the door again.
Here's a call that i got, almost verbatim, when i was in the middle of opening the store a couple days ago:
9:03 am, 57 minutes before open... phone rings.
D: "Hello, Rogers Video Stittsville. Dave speaking, how can i help you?"
c: "Yes, what time do you guys open?"
d: "We open at 10 am."
c: "Oh, so you're not open yet?"
d: "Sorry, no. We don't open until 10am."
c: "I see... you don't open until 10am. Can you tell me if you have Sponge Bob on DVD?... Which ones do you have? can you put some aside for me?"
... more to come later....
I've been taking a Sunday School class on spiritual habits and discipline for the past few weeks at my church. I've been learning a lot, but the most prevalent lesson to date has been the importance of keeping the discipline of daily devotions. It's obvious that it's hard to know what God's will is unless you spend time with Him. I guess all my troubles with finding a job, not knowing what my purpose is or where i'm supposed to be, etc.... all that is probably the result of not having a regular quiet time.
Starting now, (famous words, eh?) i'm proclaiming to God and the world wide web, that my daily devotion time is now 7 am on days that i work, and 8:30am on days that i don't work. I think that's reasonable. My prayer is that God will enable me to do this.
The book i picked to study as a devotional is "The Man God Uses" by the Blackabys, the guys who wrote Experiencing God. Even though we shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, the title seems appropriate. This is one of the books i've started but never finished. Hopefully this time around i'll be able to get to the end without giving up or missing a day.
The other thing that i'm going to work on is keeping a regular journal. I guess i could just use this blog as a journal.... But do i want to blog every day? I guess a lot of people do it.
Of course it's going to be hard, but what on Earth is worthwhile that isn't hard? Plus, I believe this is something that God wants me to do, so technically I should get all the help i need to accomplish this from God Himself.
---
Scotiabank, where are you? Ok, it's been a week. Maybe i should call them. Yes, i will. I'm marking it down on my list of things to do tomorrow. Although i've been learning to be patient and content with God's timing, i still think it's my responsibility to at least follow up on the interview.
Hmm... while i'm at it, i guess i'll take this time to list some thoughts that have never had the chance to leave my head since i've started working at Rogers....
Here's something that makes my day:
On days that I open the store, i have to get there by 8:30 am so that the store can open at 10. I don't know how many times this has happened:
1. Customer walks up to the door and pulls on it, only to find that it's locked.
2. Customer looks at the store hours and realizes that the store doesn't open until 10am.
3. Customer pulls on the door again.
Here's a call that i got, almost verbatim, when i was in the middle of opening the store a couple days ago:
9:03 am, 57 minutes before open... phone rings.
D: "Hello, Rogers Video Stittsville. Dave speaking, how can i help you?"
c: "Yes, what time do you guys open?"
d: "We open at 10 am."
c: "Oh, so you're not open yet?"
d: "Sorry, no. We don't open until 10am."
c: "I see... you don't open until 10am. Can you tell me if you have Sponge Bob on DVD?... Which ones do you have? can you put some aside for me?"
... more to come later....

2 Comments:
everyone loves spongebob, haha
i feel you with the devos thing. i think the hardest thing for me has always been....this notion that devos are unncessary, haha
for some reason, i just can't get over the idea that we created devos as some sort of doctrinal standard. maybe i'm just inherenetly rebellious, haha
Hey Dave,
How goes? I came across your page on Jesse's, mr. knows-everybody. You work in Stittsville? Wow, cows. I like Stittsville - it has lotsa chocolate there and a nice flea market.
What are your plans for the future, post-Western, post-ACF? I like your blurb about working at Rogers. Ah, retail. Irate customers, and ones who have to look at every piece of jewellery two minutes before closing...
matthea
Post a Comment
<< Home