Hollywood Kid...
I've posted nothing in 4 months... and this is what moves me into action. Take a look:
Dear Sears.ca,
By now you have probably received many emails from very disappointed and irrate customers about how you've cancelled their online orders for the Nintendo Wii. I can understand that there may not be enough units for you to ship. I can understand that a product with as high a demand as this would be hard to come by. Rest assured, I am not even disappointed that i will not be getting the product I ordered from your website because deep down i figured it was too good to be true anyway.
However, my issue is with your so-called "Promised Date". When I ordered the Nintendo Wii off your website, i was given a "promised date" of December 5, 2006. Amidst all the frenzy of the Sunday morning the product was released to the public, I smuggly felt calm and collected because Sears assured me that I would receive my order within a reasonable amount of time. I left for church later that morning with mixed feelings. On one hand it seemed to me that I would be able to make someone i care about very happy. On the other hand, I just didn't know if i could trust you. Little did I know, my sneeking suspicion would later come back to blow up in my face.
Any person educated beyond primary school can tell you what a promise means, but let me enlighten you, just in case you are not privy to this information. Webster's dictionary defines the word "promise" as follows:
1. a declaration that something will be done, given, etc., by one
2. an express assurance on which expectation is to be based
3. something that has the effect of an express assurance; indication of what may be expected.
4. indication of future excellence or achievement
You get the picture. It seems to me that only one of two things can be true about Sears.ca. Either 1. you folks do not fully understand the concept of a promise and are using the word in an incorrect manner; or 2. you know full well what a promise is and deceitfully lead people to believe that they would receive their orders without being absolutely certain that you would be able to follow through on your so-called promise, in which case makes you a bunch of liars.
Neither case makes for a very good business practise, nor a very respectable reputation.
Let me tell you something else. I was trying to order the Nintendo Wii from Bestbuy.ca at the same time and i'm sure you must have heard stories about how much of a disaster that website was. They let the customers get so far into the process of ordering only to boot them
back out to the checkout page once the website realized it didn't have enough units to fulfill their orders. Unfortunately, I was one who was booted out at the last second. Needless to say, i was very upset at bestbuy. But what they did to me is nothing in comparison to what Sears.ca has done. At least Bestbuy had the guts to tell you upfront that your order would not be processed. What you did was far worse. You LIED to people.
Don't get me wrong, i know everyone here is human and we all make mistakes. That is why i am bringing this to your attention. I won't even begin to tell you how much inconvenience you have caused me by misleading me with your "promise". However, i will do you one better and request that you stop calling it a "Promised Date". At least call it an "Estimated Date", for goodness' sake. Honestly, how hard could it be?
What's even more baffling is that when i called the help line to ask about the promised date, not even your own employees could assure me that the item would arrive by that date. What i would give to sit in on the training session that explained what the "promised date" was all about. I suppose I should have seen it coming. i should have known, right then and there, that this was not a good sign. You see, we all make mistakes and i'll be the first to admit mine: placing my trust in you.
But hey, what are mistakes for, anyway? Mistakes are just opportunities that present themselves in a less than pleasant manner. But they are still opportunities nonetheless. I've learned my lesson from my mistake. The least you could do is learn from yours. Take this opportunity to make things right.
David Chin
Dear Sears.ca,
By now you have probably received many emails from very disappointed and irrate customers about how you've cancelled their online orders for the Nintendo Wii. I can understand that there may not be enough units for you to ship. I can understand that a product with as high a demand as this would be hard to come by. Rest assured, I am not even disappointed that i will not be getting the product I ordered from your website because deep down i figured it was too good to be true anyway.
However, my issue is with your so-called "Promised Date". When I ordered the Nintendo Wii off your website, i was given a "promised date" of December 5, 2006. Amidst all the frenzy of the Sunday morning the product was released to the public, I smuggly felt calm and collected because Sears assured me that I would receive my order within a reasonable amount of time. I left for church later that morning with mixed feelings. On one hand it seemed to me that I would be able to make someone i care about very happy. On the other hand, I just didn't know if i could trust you. Little did I know, my sneeking suspicion would later come back to blow up in my face.
Any person educated beyond primary school can tell you what a promise means, but let me enlighten you, just in case you are not privy to this information. Webster's dictionary defines the word "promise" as follows:
1. a declaration that something will be done, given, etc., by one
2. an express assurance on which expectation is to be based
3. something that has the effect of an express assurance; indication of what may be expected.
4. indication of future excellence or achievement
You get the picture. It seems to me that only one of two things can be true about Sears.ca. Either 1. you folks do not fully understand the concept of a promise and are using the word in an incorrect manner; or 2. you know full well what a promise is and deceitfully lead people to believe that they would receive their orders without being absolutely certain that you would be able to follow through on your so-called promise, in which case makes you a bunch of liars.
Neither case makes for a very good business practise, nor a very respectable reputation.
Let me tell you something else. I was trying to order the Nintendo Wii from Bestbuy.ca at the same time and i'm sure you must have heard stories about how much of a disaster that website was. They let the customers get so far into the process of ordering only to boot them
back out to the checkout page once the website realized it didn't have enough units to fulfill their orders. Unfortunately, I was one who was booted out at the last second. Needless to say, i was very upset at bestbuy. But what they did to me is nothing in comparison to what Sears.ca has done. At least Bestbuy had the guts to tell you upfront that your order would not be processed. What you did was far worse. You LIED to people.
Don't get me wrong, i know everyone here is human and we all make mistakes. That is why i am bringing this to your attention. I won't even begin to tell you how much inconvenience you have caused me by misleading me with your "promise". However, i will do you one better and request that you stop calling it a "Promised Date". At least call it an "Estimated Date", for goodness' sake. Honestly, how hard could it be?
What's even more baffling is that when i called the help line to ask about the promised date, not even your own employees could assure me that the item would arrive by that date. What i would give to sit in on the training session that explained what the "promised date" was all about. I suppose I should have seen it coming. i should have known, right then and there, that this was not a good sign. You see, we all make mistakes and i'll be the first to admit mine: placing my trust in you.
But hey, what are mistakes for, anyway? Mistakes are just opportunities that present themselves in a less than pleasant manner. But they are still opportunities nonetheless. I've learned my lesson from my mistake. The least you could do is learn from yours. Take this opportunity to make things right.
David Chin

2 Comments:
haha
i miss you so much dave.
i recently met a guy just like you, a drummer/guitarist/vocal and pianist. with a funny sense of humour.
nloh la
ps am going to a kelly joe phelps gig tngt, have you heard of him?
What do you expect Sears to do?
Post a Comment
<< Home